The barriers to entry into the political scene can seem pretty darn imposing to the average citizen, but in a state that has never elected its fair share of women, those barriers can look even more foreboding. Emerge Arizona lowers those barriers and levels the playing field by de-mystifying the process of getting engaged, and connecting women to the knowledge and resources needed to win. The track record of the program speaks for itself.
Emerge Arizona offers a six month program that will covers topics such as fundraising, public speaking, field organization and political influence. Graduates of the Emerge Arizona training program include Sen. Katie Hobbs, Sen. Andrea Dalessandro, Flagstaff City Council member Karla Brewster, and Creighton School Board Member Jeanne Casteen.
- Applicants must be women who are registered Democrats and who reside in the state of Arizona.
- Time commitment of one Saturday a month from January through June, 2015, plus homework and preparation
- Application fee of $50 (non-refundable)
- Applications are available online, and require 2 letters of recommendation and a photo.
- Tuition for the six month program is $350. Emerge Arizona believes that tuition should NOT be a barrier to participation in the program. Partial financial aid may be awarded after admission to the program.
Emerge Arizona seeks dynamic and self-motivated women who are interested and committed to running for elective office and who have:
- evidence of political leadership experience or potential, and meaningful involvement in workplace or community;
- interest in running for political office;
- ability to articulate a personal political vision;
- commitment to full participation and attendance requirements of the trainings.
Emerge Arizona will select between 20-25 women from across the state who meet the above criteria and who have the potential to be political leaders.
Emerge embraces diversity and encourages applications from all women regardless of age, race, color, national or ethnic origin, marital status, religious affiliation, sexual orientation or physical abilities.
For more information on the Emerge Arizona Candidate Training Program go to www.emergeaz.org or contact Katie Hobbs at email@example.com.